There are many substances that have addictive properties. Most people has not yet tried all these substances. Of people who have tried them, abuse and dependence that does not really follow. The reason is due to the differences on people in terms of vulnerability to substance-related disorders matter. There are many theories to actually prove it.
For many years, getting addicted to the drugs and alcohol was considered to be a result of deficiencies on morality. Drug and alcohol addicts were simply perceived as weak, bad people who would not exert control over their impulses. Since 1960s, that view has largely been replaced by the disease model of addiction, which views drug and alcohol addiction as an incurable physical disease, like epilepsy or diabetes. This model has been supported fairly by research on the genetics and biology of drug and alcohol addiction, but there clearly are social and psychological forces that make some people more prone to these disorders than are others. The vulnerability of an individual to substance abuse and dependence is increased by factors such as biological, social, and psychological.
When we talk about biological theories, it is one of the most prominent in the literature on substance- related disorders. There are typically three reasons for this. First, there are many theorists that point the vulnerability to these disorders to one’s heredity. Second, people who become substance dependent or abusive may react in a different way physiologically to substances than those who become dependent or abusive. Third, some theorists have argued that drug and alcohol addiction really represents an underlying biological depression. These are drug and alcohol facts which can aid us to understand how it has rise in our lives and in our society. There are still many drug and alcohol facts to help and warn us against its effects. Let us try knowing them one by one.
• Effects of addictive drugs can never be predicted.
• Drug addiction can lead to death.
• Treatment for drug addiction can be a tedious and gruesome process.
• The production and selling of drugs are illegal in most countries.
• There are many over the counter drugs that are abused by many people.
• There are different categorizations of addictive drugs.
• The major effects of alcohol are bad on most aspects.
• A depressant on one’s nervous system is how alcohol works on our body.
• Alcohol has short term effects.
• A small amount of alcohol can have a great effect on an individual.
• Alcohol should never be consumed with medications.
• Alcohol can be passed genetically.
• Alcohol can cause major damage to the brain.
• A person should never drink with an empty stomach.
• There is a high chance for an individual to become an alcoholic if his or her parents have histories of alcohol addiction.
• Constant alcohol use can have negative effects on the heart.
• A person should eat before ingesting alcohol.
• Prolonged alcohol use can cause weight gain.
• According to several research studies, violence can likely happen when there is presence of alcohol use.
• There are more people who are addicted to alcohol than people who are addicted to drugs.
• Alcohol can be a poison to children.
Drug and alcohol facts are important so that people can know how to deal with drugs and alcohol.